5 Jul 2018
Omron to Introduce NX1-series Controller That Integrates Control and Information
Improve productivity, improve your business
Omron Corporation (HQ: Shimogyo-Ku, Kyoto. CEO: Yoshihito Yamada) announced the global release in April of its new NX1-series Machine Automation Controller that boosts productivity while leveraging information. Omron will release the NX-HAD4 High-speed Analog Input Unit*1 and NX-SL5 Safety CPU Unit*2 that can be used with the NX1 Series, helping address manufacturing innovation challenges including strengthening of quality control and flexible safety measures.
Improve productivity, utilize information
Manufacturers are now driving visualization of machine and process status, predictive maintenance to prevent downtime, and other information utilization approaches to further improve productivity. Although it is necessary to easily and securely share information between manufacturing sites and host IT systems, high-speed processing of a large amount of data by a controller increases control cycle time, discouraging productivity improvements. In addition, on the one hand, high speed and precision are required for industrial networks at production sites. On the other hand, high-level security is required for connection to host IT systems. This results in a significant barrier to interconnectivity of networks.
In these circumstances, the NX1 Series has been designed to collect synchronized data from sensors, servomotors, and units mounted to the controller within the same fixed cycle time thanks to Omron’s unique multicore technology that provides machine control and at the same time executing high-speed data processing tasks. This controller can send the collected data to the host IT system while maintaining control performance. Three industrial Ethernet ports—EtherNet/IP and EtherCAT ports—and an OPC UA server interface for IIoT for industrial automation and information technology are housed in a compact design with a width of 66 mm. This connectivity allows use of IT at production sites and easy and secure connection to host IT systems. The database connection model*3 can directly store production data in databases without using PC or middleware, enabling real-time and reliable traceability of all products and helping improve quality control.
Further improve quality, enhance safety measures
The NX1 Series in combination with the NX-HAD4 High-speed Analog Input Unit can be used for inspections by high-speed sampling of analog data, which previously required the use of special inspection machines. Connected with the NX-SL5 Safety CPU Unit, the NX1 Series integrates safety control of production lines and machines. The integrated safety and modularized safety control programs eliminate the need for re-programming when the line layout is changed. Flexible production and safety can be achieved.
1. Integration of control and information utilization
- Synchronized control of I/O and motion within 1 ms cycle time and motion control of up to 12 axes enable high-speed, high-precision control.
- The built-in EtherNet/IP, EtherCAT, OPC UA, and database connection functionality allows use of information within and between machines, visualization of production status with MES/SCADA, traceability using SQL database, and other information utilization applications. In addition, Omron’s unique multicore technology can process data without compromising control performance.
2. Integration of control and quality management
- Connected with the NX-HAD4 High-speed Analog Input Unit, the NX1 Series can simultaneously obtain analog data from four insulated channels at the industry's fastest sampling speed of 5 μs*4.
- Instead of previously used special inspection machines with built-in PC, this standard controller can be used for inspections such as vibration inspection of high-speed rotators, and enables the inspection process to be incorporated into a production line.
3. Integration of control and safety
- The NX1 Series connected with the NX-SL5 Safety CPU Unit integrates control and safety. Safety control systems can be built within and between machines, and control and safety can be managed as a module. Flexible production lines can be easily created.
Omron set forth a strategic concept called "innovative-Automation!” consisting of three innovations or "i's"—"integrated" (control evolution), "intelligent" (development of intelligence by ICT), and "interactive" (new harmonization between people and machines). Omron is now committed to bringing innovation to manufacturing sites by materializing this concept. By using the NX1 Series, Omron will strive to create manufacturing sites where customers can achieve productivity improvements, real-time traceability, full inspections, and enhancement of safety measures at the same time. This will allow Omron to accelerate the creation of an “integrated”, "intelligent" and “interactive” manufacturing site—key to the materialization of "innovative-Automation!”—together with its client companies. By so doing, Omron continues to pursue remarkable enhancements in quality and productivity for the manufacturing industry.
*1. The NX-HAD4 High-speed Analog Input Unit will be released in May 2018.
*2. NX-SL5 Safety CPU Unit will be available soon.
*3. The database connection model will be available soon.
*4. Based on Omron investigation in April 2018.
Omron Europe B.V.
2132 JD Hoofddorp
+31 (0)23 568 13 00
Notes for editors
Omron Corporation is a leading industrial automation company that leverages its core sensing & control technologies to expand into businesses, such as control components, electronic components, automotive electronic components, social infrastructure, healthcare, and the environment. Omron was established in 1933, and has around 36,000 global employees, offering products and services in over 117 nations and regions. In the industrial automation business, Omron is contributing to making an affluent society by offering automation technologies which drive innovation in manufacturing as well as products and customer support. For more detail, industrial.omron.eu.
Editorial enquiriesMarion Beekhuizen
+31 6 1133 7151
+31 164 317 017
Also available in