7 May 2018
SABIC seeking to grow position in key markets in the Americas with proven material solutions and expertise
ORLANDO, FLORIDA, May 7, 2018 - SABIC, a global leader in the chemical industry, is showcasing at NPE 2018 its sharpened focus on growing with customers in key markets, drawing upon its market knowledge, deep expertise in application development, and steadily expanding portfolio of polyolefin, engineering thermoplastic, and specialty materials.
These markets include pipe and utilities, thin-wall packaging, caps and closures and personal hygiene. The company’s booth (S19001) features applications in each of these areas, which benefit from the use of SABIC’s materials and application design support.
“For each of these market spaces, we have formed business teams to focus on developing and driving tailored technology platforms and new products for customers in these segments,” said Abdulrahman Al-Fageeh, SABIC’s executive vice president for the Petrochemicals business unit. “We have asked these teams to base all innovation, service and application development support on the existing and emerging needs of customers.”
SABIC already offers an array of material technologies to serve customers in these markets, including foam and polymer products, a wide range of polyethylene and polypropylene plastics, high-performance thermoplastics and more.
Now, the company is moving to broaden access to these technologies for customers based or operating in the Americas, to serve the above-noted segments, as well as traditional markets for the company in the region such as automotive, building and construction, healthcare and others.
“What visitors are seeing at our NPE booth is the product of our transformational work over the past few years,” said Al-Fageeh. “We restructured our businesses in ways that have sharpened our market focus and level of customer dedication. Our attention is set on identifying and satisfying the unmet needs of our customers, producing innovative and lasting solutions. We believe this market-focused approach best allows us to help drive performance for those who choose to place their business with us and serve as their dependable long-term supplier.”
Committed to Growth in the Americas
Al-Fageeh added that SABIC has set ambitious goals for growth in the Americas, especially in the United States. In fact, he highlighted SABIC’s aim to double its manufacturing footprint in the country within the next five years, growing its sales here from almost three million tons annually now to about six million tons by 2022.
“SABIC has targeted the United States and the larger Americas region as a strategic geography for growth, which will be driven by our proven chemistries, world-class application development capabilities, and commitment to help our customers succeed,” said Greg Adams, vice president for SABIC in the Americas. “Ultimately, customers will benefit as we add a wider array of advanced material options for them to tap into and greater opportunities to collaborate with us on the next set of breakthroughs in their respective industries.”
One such breakthrough enables the creation of specialty polyethylene products to meet the increased demand for flexible packaging. The breakthrough is SABIC's own proprietary metallocene catalyst C6 LLDPE technology. Metallocene catalyst is an advanced technology for producing highly differentiated and value-added PE products for various applications that required exceptional properties.
Sustainability – Scaling Up High-Quality Recycling
As SABIC strives for further growth in the Americas and elsewhere globally, the company is also demonstrating its continued focus on sustainability. In fact, SABIC has emerged as one of the first in the chemical industry committed to the scale up of high-quality recycling to reprocess chemicals and mixed plastic waste back into usable materials.
The company recognizes the opportunity to chemically recycle plastic waste that is today being incinerated or used for landfill. SABIC has made a strong commitment to scale up high-quality recycling processes for chemical recycling of mixed plastic waste to the original polymer, using its know-how, resources, and resolve to help reduce the waste stream.
Highlights of the SABIC NPE 2018 Booth
In addition to showcasing solutions for new segments, SABIC is highlighting at NPE 2018 a broad range of innovative materials from both its petrochemicals and specialties plastics portfolios for use in traditional markets such as automotive, building and construction, consumer goods and electronics, healthcare, mass transportation, as well as new and emerging technologies in additive manufacturing and composites.
Segment-specific displays located within the SABIC booth feature an array of unique end-use applications using the company’s advanced material solutions:
- Lightweight body in white reinforcement components. SABIC’s plastic-metal hybrid technology featuring NORYL GTX™ resin may reduce weight by up to 30% vs. high-strength steel – without compromising structural crashworthiness of the vehicle.
- Steering wheel column. This application demonstrates SABIC’s new and growing portfolio of SABIC® polypropylene (PP) compounds that deliver a soft feel and improved haptics for applications such as unpainted, low gloss automotive interior components.
- Aerodynamic roof fairing. Using Augmented Reality (AR) technology, SABIC is demonstrating how a thermoplastic-based roof fairing on heavy trucks can help overcome drag by up to five percent, potentially generating fuel savings of 2 to 4 percent for truck and fleet operators. The AR experience allows booth visitors to see how the part’s built-in air ducts reduce front end pressure and accelerate airflow both over the surface and through the part itself.
Building & Construction:
- Pipe Skyline. SABIC’s extensive portfolio of pipe materials are featured by market segment – infrastructure, domestic, industrial, agriculture and aquaculture – in an impressive pipe display that showcases material details and target applications.
- Unique water filtration module. NORYL™ resin’s best-in-class hydrolytic and dimensional stability and chemical and high temperature resistance enabled CERAFILTEC to avoid corrosion-prone steel framing with a fully injection-molded module design.
- Sustainable food/non-food containers. SABIC® PP FLOWPACT™ impact copolymers feature high flow and high stiffness to enable thin-wall designs and fast injection that help reduce material and energy use.
- Caps and closures for packaging. Various caps, closures and product delivery mechanisms for beverages, food and non-food applications are on display, highlighting use of SABIC’s high performance PP, HDPE, LDPE, LLDPE and ETP materials for these applications. Among the many potential benefits from use of these solutions are good environmental stress cracking resistance to enhance weight optimization and lower temperature processing for significant reduction in cycle times and energy consumption.
- NEXLENE™ technology. A range of tough packaging products made using SABIC’s recently introduced NEXLENE™ technology are on display at the booth. These include SABIC® SUPEER™ stretch film grades, which are particularly well suited for stiff, thin stretch film applications; SABIC® COHERE™ 8102 and SABIC SUPEER 8112 stretch hood pallet wrap; and PVC-free cling film made from SABIC’s metallocene PET; among others. These products feature an excellent balance of properties and illustrate SABIC’s commitment to the packaging space.
- eNeura® migraine relief device. eNeura® chose custom-colored LEXAN™ PC copolymer, a healthcare grade, for the sleek housing of its new sTMS mini® device. The material delivers biocompatibility, impact and chemical resistance and light weight.
- Sterilization tray and arm cast. Additively manufactured parts using new SABIC healthcare filaments for fused deposition modeling benefit from biocompatibility, sterilizability and excellent mechanical performance.
- Absorbent products. SABIC’s phthalate-free PP materials for non-woven applications offer excellent absorption, softness and light weight.
Consumer Goods & Electronics:
- Thin-wall structural component. Demanding structural components in electronics can benefit from the new THERMOCOMP™ HMD-D family of high modulus ductile compounds. These reinforced polycarbonate grades can replace metal for lighter weight and thinner geometries.
- Molded cell phone cases. Laser direct structuring using THERMOCOMP™ LDS compounds allows customers to make 3D parts and activate the 3D surface for proper metallization.
- Metal-plastic hybrid cell phone back cover. Nano-molding technology (NMT) involves injecting plastic resin onto a metal surface. Using SABIC THERMOTUF™ compounds for NMT, electronics OEMs can replace insert molding/die casting to help achieve miniaturization and expand design freedom.
- UDMAX™ tapes. The newest UDMAX™ tape grade delivers exceptional tensile strength for reinforcing such industrial applications as pipes and pressure vessels. It offers a high loading of glass fiber, impregnated using SABIC’s proprietary HPFIT™ technology.
- Livrea Yacht hull section. Produced using large format additive manufacturing, the two-layer hull features light weight and strength from carbon-reinforced materials, including ULTEM™ PEI compound.
6135 LD Sittard
+1 248 926 4219
Notes for editors
- SABIC and brands marked with ™ are trademarks of SABIC or its subsidiaries or affiliates.
- High-resolution photos are available upon request.
- SABIC should be written in every instance in all uppercase.
- © 2018 Saudi Basic Industries Corporation (SABIC). All Rights Reserved.
- Any brands, products or services of other companies referenced in this document are the trademarks, service marks and/or trade names of their respective holders.
SABIC is a global leader in diversified chemicals headquartered in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. We manufacture on a global scale in the Americas, Europe, Middle East and Asia Pacific, making distinctly different kinds of products: chemicals, commodity and high performance plastics, agri-nutrients and metals.
We support our customers by identifying and developing opportunities in key end markets such as construction, medical devices, packaging, agri-nutrients, electrical and electronics, transportation and clean energy.
SABIC recorded a net profit of SR 18.4 billion (US$ 4.9 billion) in 2017. Sales revenues for 2017 totaled SR 149.8 billion (US$ 39.9 billion). Total assets stood at SR 322.5 billion (US$ 86 billion) at the end of 2017. Production in 2017 stood at 71.2 million metric tons.
SABIC has more than 34,000 employees worldwide and operates in more than 50 countries. Fostering innovation and a spirit of ingenuity, we have 11,534 global patent filings, and have significant research resources with innovation hubs in five key geographies – USA, Europe, Middle East, South Asia and North Asia.
The Saudi Arabian government owns 70 percent of SABIC shares with the remaining 30 percent publicly traded on the Saudi stock exchange.