24 Apr 2017
Next generation of temperature controllers embrace the era of AI
Omron is introducing their E5_D series - the next generation of controllers built on the successful E5_C platform. It is designed to achieve optimal and automatic temperature control without human intervention.
Omron’s E5_C series substantially raised the bar for temperature control in the past five years thanks to its user-friendliness, high precision and highly reliable control. Now, the E5_D series - the next generation of controllers built on the successful E5_C platform - is designed to achieve optimal and automatic temperature control without human intervention. In fact, from now on all typical adjustments made in the field by experts are automated using Artificial Intelligence (A.I.). The E5_D is based on the E5_C platform so the basic features are the same (50msec control period, universal inputs measurements Thermocouples/Pt100/linear, and more) but with a draw-out structure to make maintenance even easier.
Adaptive control algorithm
With standard temperature controllers, not only do you need a long time to define initial start-up PID settings, but it is also really challenging to make the optimal adjustments without having many years of experience in this area. That’s why Omron developed the E5_D Series with "adaptive control technology”. This automatically detects changes in the process under control and adapts the PID accordingly. The result? Perfectly fine-tuned PID algorithm and ultra-stable temperature control.
Perfect sealing temperature control for packaging machines
On a conventional sealing machine temperature sensors can often be located too far away from the sealing surface of the heating bar. This causes a difference between the temperature of the sealing surface and the temperature that was actually being controlled. This temperature difference and resulting sealing failures, increase as the packaging speed increases and also in correlation with thinner packaging materials.
Thanks to the E5_D series, this issue is solved with the following approach:
- bringing sensor closer to the sealing surface - thanks to special temperature sensor models for faster detection.
- adopting special algorithms (automatic filter adjustment function) built-in E5_D, specifically developed to suppress temperature variations. The result is a better sealing quality of the packages.
Temperature variations in molding machines minimized by a new algorithm
On a water-cooled extrusion molding machine, increasing the speed often leads to temperature variations due to various factors such as the material compound and cooling water. For the human operator this means repeatedly making valve adjustments to stabilize the quality. However, it is really difficult to achieve high speed production while also maintaining the quality. Not any more with the E5D. The water-cooling output adjustment function suppresses the temperature variations to a minimum and raises the production capacity while maintaining quality.
- Available in two sizes: E5CD (48x48mm) and E5ED (48x96mm).
- Both are capable of measuring a wide range of signal types from different sensors (12 different types of thermocouples, Pt100/jPt100 and different current/voltage linear signals).
- Control output types are, depending on the model, relay output 5A/250Vca, and Voltage output (12Vcc to drive external SSR).
- As with the E5_C series, there are basic models without additional optional functionality as well as more advanced models supporting additional functionality such as event inputs, RS485 serial communication, and heater burnouts.
- Power supply ranges: 100 to240 VCA or 24VAC/DC.
Omron Europe B.V.
2132 JD Hoofddorp
+31 (0)23 568 13 00
Notes for editors
Omron Corporation is a leading industrial automation company that leverages its core sensing & control technologies to expand into businesses, such as control components, electronic components, automotive electronic components, social infrastructure, healthcare, and the environment. Omron was established in 1933, and has around 38,000 global employees, offering products and services in over 110 nations and regions. In the industrial automation business, Omron is contributing to making an affluent society by offering automation technologies which drive innovation in manufacturing as well as products and customer support. For more detail, www.industrial.omron.eu.